NEET Biology The Living World
The Living World PDF Notes, Important Questions and Synopsis
- Characteristics of living beings:
Growth → Reproduction → Metabolism → Cellular Organisation → Consciousness → Interactions
- In binomial nomenclature, each name has two components, a generic name and a specific epithet.
Example: Mangifera indica (Genus: Mangifera, Species: indica)
- Taxonomic categories showing hierarchical arrangement in the ascending order:
Species → Genus → Family → Order → Class → Phylum/Division → Kingdom
- Certain procedures and techniques are practised in order to store or preserve this information. These procedures are called taxonomical aids.
- Herbarium is a storehouse of collected plant specimens which are dried, pressed and preserved on sheets.
- Botanical gardens are specialised gardens which have collections of living plants for reference.
- Museums have collections of preserved plant and animal specimens for study and reference.
- Zoological parks are places where wild animals are kept in protected environments under human care and which enable us to learn about their food habits and behavior.
- Key is the aid used for the identification of plants and animals based on their similarities and dissimilarities.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number