NEET Biology Biotechnology and its Applications
Biotechnology and Its Applications PDF Notes, Important Questions and Synopsis
- Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) are organisms in which foreign genes have been introduced through genetic engineering.
- Uses of Genetically Modified Plants
- Cry proteins are toxic proteins secreted by Bacillus thuringiensis in the crystal form during a particular phase of their growth.
- Genetically engineered insulin: In 1983, Eli Lilly, an American company, first prepared two DNA sequences corresponding to the A and B chains of human insulin and introduced them in plasmids of Escherichia coli to produce insulin chains. Chains A and B were produced separately, extracted and combined by creating disulphide bonds to form human insulin or humulin.
Gene therapy is the technique of genetic engineering to replace ‘a faulty gene’ by a normal healthy functional gene in humans. For example, ADA deficiency can be treated with gene therapy.
Applications of Biotechnology in the Field of Medicine
ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) is a simple and versatile technique used for screening HIV and is based on the principle of antigen–antibody interaction.
Animals that have had their DNA manipulated to possess and express an extra (foreign) gene are known as transgenic animals.
Benefits of Transgenic Animals:
GEAC (Genetical Engineering Approval Committee) has been set up to make decisions regarding the validity of GM research and the safety of introducing GM-organisms for public services.
Bioethics is a set of standards used to regulate our activities in relation to the biological world.
nauthorised use of bioresources and traditional knowledge related to bioresources for commercial benefits is called biopiracy.
- briefly explain the tra gene transfer mechanism by E coli bacteria.
- Agrobacterium tumefaciens is an effective vector for gene transfer in - 1. Corn 2. Rice 3. Wheat 4. Soyabean
- Does human have plasmid?
- What is DNA sequencing. Describe Dna sequencing methods?
- ⭕ Answer with Explnation :- Thanks☺️
- I want to complete my practical in biochemistry. Pls help me by sending pdf. Micropipette It's types fixed or variable 2 main application principal and uses
- Plz ans. This question.
- By isolating the antibiotic resistance gene by cutting out a piece of DNA from a plasmid which was responsible for conferring antibiotic resistance .Please explain this clearly
- Explain nematode specific plant step melatogonia intogoeina
- Which is the Tissue Plasminogen Activator-Cyclosporine A or Streptokinase?
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number