(i) There was massive destruction of a large forest area due to forest fires. A few years later, severe droughts were experienced in that region. Explain how the massive deforestation led to droughts.
(ii) Which of the following cannot be caused by deforestation? Why?
(b) Severe droughts
(c) Increase in soil fertility
(d) Global warming
Asked by Topperlearning User | 28th Jul, 2016, 04:24: PM
(i) The fewer trees remaining after deforestation utilizes less carbon dioxide during photosynthesis resulting in its increased amount in the atmosphere. This will lead to global warming as carbon dioxide traps the heat rays reflected by the earth. The increase in temperature on the earth disturbs the water cycle and may reduce rainfall. This could cause droughts.
(ii) Increase in soil fertility cannot be caused by deforestation.
Deforestation causes large amount of soil erosion, due to which the lower, hard and rocky layers get exposed. The fertile soil gets washed away during soil erosion. Hence, soil fertility gets reduced and is not increased during deforestation.
Answered by | 28th Jul, 2016, 06:24: PM
- why no dodo bird is not found in world
- What is the main reason that many species are becoming endangered? Habitat Destruction Disease Natural Selection Acid rain
- In which processes plants are involved ?
- ------------------------- species is that which will become extinct if nothing is done to stop the cause of its decline a]endangered b]extinct c]exotic d]endemic
- (i) Scientists and environmentalists continuously emphasize the negative effects of carrying out deforestation. Mention these effects. (ii) Which of the following cannot be caused by deforestation? Why? (a) Desertification (b) Severe droughts (c) Increase in soil fertility (d) Global warming
- (i) Discuss any two problems that can arise if deforestation continues.(ii) What is the relation between deforestation and obtaining fuel?
- What is the relation between deforestation and obtaining fuel?
- How does carbon dioxide cause global warming?
- Reena visited her native place land after 20 years. She was shocked to see the earlier lush green land now barren and desert-like. Her parents informed her that this was caused by large-scale deforestation. Could this be true? Explain how.
Kindly Sign up for a personalised experience
- Ask Study Doubts
- Sample Papers
- Past Year Papers
- Textbook Solutions
Verify mobile number
Enter the OTP sent to your number